What we’ll cover
Physiotherapy remains able to operate under the guidance of providing care to prevent significant change or deterioration of functional status. Malvern East Physiotherapy provides both clinical consultations and clinical exercise intervention for current and chronic health conditions. A number of our current clients will have been prescribed clinical exercise as part of their overall management plan, and will understand the effectiveness of a specific individualised program.
All of our interventions and management plans are based on current literature and evidence based practice. As Physiotherapists, we know that exercise is often the ‘gold standard’ intervention for many common clinical conditions including low back and spinal pain, peripheral joint pathologies, and is an essential component of complex and chronic pain management.
Continuity of clinical exercise is extremely important for symptoms management and maintaining current levels of function. Our body systems change in response to positive stress, e.g clinical exercise, but it needs to be frequent and continuous for ongoing benefits.
Equally, we know that if an individual were to cease specific clinical exercise, their condition or pain would worsen.
Please remember that if you are currently participating in any of our clinical exercise streams, it is for health management purposes. Your program has been designed by one of our Physiotherapists with health and functional management underpinning exercise selection and program frequency.
If you or your family members have any concerns regarding clinical exercise participation, please speak to a member of our clinical team. We are always available for any questions or to discuss alternative options for your ongoing management.
Clinical Exercise Intervention
- Only prescribed following a thorough clinical assessment
- Prescribed by a Physiotherapist for the purpose of pain management and/ or functional improvement
- Usually only one part of a much larger health management plan
- Exercise choice is specific and related to health and pain management specific goals
- Continued to prevent functional decline or worsening pain symptoms
- Individualised and adaptable based on physical and symptom presentation
- Attendance is considered a medical appointment
- Supervised by a Physiotherapist to ensure safety
- One model fits all
- Undertaken for fitness related goals
- Not necessarily for injury or health management
- Does not take into account medical and injury history
- Does not require supervision by a Health Professional or Physiotherapist
- Can be done independently and does not always require specific or clinical equipment